PN is looking for an ambitious full-stack developer who’s passionate about health, fitness and helping people live their best life.
We need a seasoned full-stack developer who can help us develop more rapidly, take care of our infrastructure, and scale with our growing user base so we can help millions more people live healthier, happier lives.
Join our adventure
We’re embarking on a new adventure, and we need a skilled developer to help us scale
Jeremy Fernandes, PN Level 1 & 2 Certified
Intro to PN Level 1 Certification
Over the next two to three years, Precision Nutrition is focused on expanding the reach of our nutrition education and certification programs in both professional and consumer markets, building products that will continue to help millions of users transform their lives with our unique Deep Health approach.
To help us reach our goals and keep us moving forward, we need a jack-of-all-trades willing to learn new things and wrangle all kinds of systems.
Who we’re looking for
You’re fluent in multiple (programming) languages.
You like variety.
You'll be handling all kinds of systems, apps, and technologies — everything from our modern Ember/Rails based coaching platform to our next generation Elixir admin systems.
You thirst for efficiency.
It’s not enough for you to write “pretty” clean code. You’re always optimizing your work, and you’re adept at seeking out ways to share code, components, and functionality across multiple applications. You know the latest and greatest best practices, and you care about keeping things well-maintained.
Once you are confident in what you need to do, you can run with it and don’t need a lot of direction. You have strong self-structure and discipline and have worked remotely either currently or in the past so you know the benefits and the challenges. At the same time, you don’t silo yourself, and are always eager to learn more and share with the team.
You aren’t married to your ideas, and you understand that things change as new information is made available. You can switch gears at the drop of a hat and re-prioritize your work in a fluid environment, and you don’t sweat the small stuff — because your eyes are on the big picture.
You leave your ego at the door.
You have integrity, talent, are outgoing, have a palpable excitement about the future, and don’t show it off. You don’t have patience for shadiness, mediocrity, cynicism, and excessive "constructive criticism."
Part of open, honest communication is having the ability to deliver honest, direct feedback without being offensive or critical. The other part is having the ability to view honest, direct feedback as a gift you can use to get better. If you’re (even mildly) offended when your ideas are challenged, this probably won’t be a good fit for you.
You’ll be maintaining a product that has thousands of daily users, so you should take care of our data and systems like they are your very own. We take the performance, reliability, security and privacy of our systems seriously, and we need you to as well.
What you’ll be doing
Developing our backend...
...and turning it into a compelling, functional product
You’ll be building new features, reviewing other people’s code, and maintaining our systems. That means:
- Ruby on Rails API development. Our coaching platform is backed by a RESTful API implemented in Rails. You’ll spend a lot of your time building, testing, and working with Rails. We’re using Elixir and Phoenix too, so come prepared to learn!
- Checking in regularly with the team. We do a daily check-in with all developers, so everyone knows what they’re working on. You’ll have tickets assigned to you in JIRA, for everything from small bug fixes to new features and big projects like a new payment system. You’ll also be reviewing your peers’ code, and vice-versa.
- Monitoring performance. You’ll design and execute performance tests on our website and other applications, as well as recommend and implement system and application performance best practices.
- Maintain our systems. You’ll monitor the health of all systems, performing regular and ad hoc sysadmin tasks, and managing Amazon Web Services and other hosting service providers. You’ll schedule and manage site downtime, and work with the team to proactively add infrastructure so that our clients and team have a smooth experience.
- Going on call. Our on-call rotation is gentle (less than one week per month), and you won’t be left alone—you’re merely a first responder. But you’ll need to be willing to carry a metaphorical pager on those rare occasions that something goes wrong.
You’ll also be working on the frontend, ensuring we put forth a fantastic, user-focused app. That includes:
- Bi-weekly sprints. The team will meet with the product manager and designers every two weeks to turn their ideas into tickets for the development team. The bulk of your day-to-day work will consist of working on your tickets (and helping other devs with their tickets when needed)—ideally, you’ll have as few meetings as possible!
- Peer reviewing other code. We help each other out at PN, which means you’ll review code written by other devs in the organization—not just on your team, but across other teams—and help address bugs as needed
- Maintaining our existing applications. We pride ourselves on our solid, well-maintained codebase—that means running the latest version of important libraries and other dependencies. We aren’t constantly rebuilding from scratch just to use the latest toys, but we don’t want to feel stuck behind, either.
- Learning new skills and mentoring others. We never want our team members to feel stagnant in their career, so you’ll have time to expand your development repertoire and take on the responsibilities that best fit your skills. If you have the experience, you’ll even get a chance to mentor other developers as well, so they have the same opportunity.
A few important caveats
This is a dream job, if you’re the right person for it.
CEO, Tim Jones and Master Chef, Jen Nickle
PN Coaching Winner, Chrystalene and her coach, Kate Solo
Must-Have #1: You must be experienced.
Must-Have #2: You want to work remotely, but still be part of a team.
You want to work from where you are most productive, when you are most productive, and you understand the value of working with others. You enjoy pair programming, collaborating with and mentoring your team mates and participating in regular video conference meetings. When a team member needs a hand, you make time for them, knowing they’ll do the same for you. And you’re an excellent communicator who isn’t afraid to speak up and knows when to listen.
Must-Have #3: You're accountable.
You take ownership of your work, and enjoy making a difference. At PN, you have the ability to leave an impact both on our codebase and on people's lives. You'll have the freedom to make a lot of your own decisions, as long as you stand by them.
Wondering if this is the right path for you?
Every year, professionals at the top of their field choose to join Precision Nutrition.
Here are 5 reasons why.
PN team photo
PN team activity
We give you the freedom to “do you.”
Unlike most companies, we don’t have rigid rules about how and when to do things. You’ll always be free to work independently, whenever, wherever, and however you want.
You can work from anywhere.
We’re a 100% remote company, and have been working remote for 17 years. When you join our team, you’re no longer shackled to one desk, one office, one city, or even one country!
Meetings are optional. (No, really.)
You’re an adult. You’re capable of deciding how your time should be spent. If you don’t think you need to attend a meeting, you don’t. Simple as that.
Diversity & Inclusion is a priority.
We view Diversity & Inclusion as critical to our success. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and our team members are people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds, who share a passion for helping people live happier and healthier lives. Diversity not only includes race and gender identity but also age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, religion, and many other parts of one’s identity. All of our team members' points of view are key to our success, and inclusion is everyone's responsibility. Everyone is welcome — as an inclusive workplace, we want our employees to bring their authentic whole selves to work. Be you.
You’ll always feel supported.
In a regular office, it’s easy to feel like a hamster in a wheel, powerless to change things. At Precision Nutrition, we work as a team to overcome issues & barriers that stand in each other’s way, and we treat each other with enthusiasm, compassion, and care.
You’ll never be bored.
People often come to Precision Nutrition after hitting a plateau in their old jobs. At PN, you’ll get the chance to conquer new challenges, learn from the best, and reach thrilling new heights of personal and professional growth.
Plus: no commute ... and no 9-to-5 grind.
Go ahead: schedule work around your kids. Fly to Europe on a moment’s notice. We don’t care where you’re based or what hours you keep, as long as you always give us your best when it counts.
Co-founder Phil Caravaggio describes the amazing perks of working in a fully remote company.