Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Nick_123 Nick_123 is offline
PN Level 1 Certified
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 924
Nick_123 Nick_123 Nick_123 Nick_123 Nick_123 Nick_123
Its fine. the 1g/per cent body fat is just a short term thing, you'll cut it back after a little while. I think JB says it helps to kick start the fat loss...hooray!

You may like to try a liquid fish oil if your finding the number of pills required too much. You can get some with surprisingly nice flavors!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Hermans Hermans is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island City, NY
Posts: 6
Hermans
Hey John
I noticed you said 30% concentration of EPA and DHA. I have Carlson's super gems. Its 50% is that to much? I'm asking because i bought it already. Would that 20% increase be better or worse or not worth the difference?

Thanks!

Sorry Nick! I was trying to set up a reply with quote. John Berardi stated 30% percent on page 2. I wanted something a little more specific. I'm new to using forums on this site . lol

Last edited by Hermans; January 12th, 2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: I meant to reply with quote
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM
mc- mc- is offline
PN Level 1 Certified
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,619
mc- mc- mc- mc- mc- mc- mc- mc- mc- mc- mc-
hermans

my understanding is that the main thing is shooting to get DHA of about 1-2g a day.

dha being where it seems the money is.

best
mc
__________________
dr. m.c. schraefel, ph.d, c.eng, cscs, pnl1
neural movement specialist, zhealth master trainer
rkc ii, sfgII ck-fms, ikff ckt (coaching testimonials)
* follow online at http://begin2dig.com, @begin2dig, facebook.com/begin2dig

* approaches: what's a movement assessment and why is having one is important?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hermans Hermans is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island City, NY
Posts: 6
Hermans
Thanks MC

The bottle Im using says 200 mg DHA . Im not sure of my body fat% right now i summed to 15% until i get an official number. so i have been taking about 3 grams a day.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:04 AM
louisthe1 louisthe1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 119
louisthe1
I've been looking for evidence that fish oil does indeed help you reduce body fat. And I can't find much out there. Does anyone know of anything recent that shows fish oil or omega 3 do actually help reduce body fat percentage, or BMI?

I do take my fishies every day but am looking for the evidence-base in terms for body composition benefits!

This one recent study in 2010 showed that participants swapped half a kilo of fat for half a kilo of muscle over 6 weeks, by taking 4g/day of fish oil.

This subsequent literature review (which looked at body weight, not composition) from 2011 concludes that:
[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT]
[FONT="Times New Roman"]At thistime, research is largely inconclusive as to the potential synergistic benefitswhen n-3 is supplemented in conjunction with exercise. There is some evidencethat n-3 can modestly enhance lipolysis and β- oxidation during exercise andthereby improve fat loss. There also is modest evidence that n-3supplementation may help to improve various aspects of exercise performance.However, limitations in study design make it difficult to draw firm conclusionson these topics.

Any research you can point me to would be great!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Kate Kline Kate Kline is offline
Precision Nutrition Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 5,797
Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisthe1 View Post
I've been looking for evidence that fish oil does indeed help you reduce body fat. And I can't find much out there. Does anyone know of anything recent that shows fish oil or omega 3 do actually help reduce body fat percentage, or BMI?

I do take my fishies every day but am looking for the evidence-base in terms for body composition benefits!

This one recent study in 2010 showed that participants swapped half a kilo of fat for half a kilo of muscle over 6 weeks, by taking 4g/day of fish oil.

This subsequent literature review (which looked at body weight, not composition) from 2011 concludes that:
[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT]
[FONT="Times New Roman"]At thistime, research is largely inconclusive as to the potential synergistic benefitswhen n-3 is supplemented in conjunction with exercise. There is some evidencethat n-3 can modestly enhance lipolysis and β- oxidation during exercise andthereby improve fat loss. There also is modest evidence that n-3supplementation may help to improve various aspects of exercise performance.However, limitations in study design make it difficult to draw firm conclusionson these topics.

Any research you can point me to would be great!
Hey Louise,

Were you able to check out posts # 3 and #5 in this thread?

That might help with what you're looking for.

I think it's important to remember that fish oil in it of itself is not a "fat loss" pill.

Rather, in combination with the right nutrition and exercise, fish oil supplementation influences several hormones and metabolic pathways which in turn, have positive effects on body composition.

The posts I referenced above go into more specifics on this.
__________________
Posted By:
Kate Kline, BIS, PICP, CPT, Pn1

Precision Nutrition

Follow us!
PN blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

Last edited by Kate Kline; April 9th, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Kate Kline Kate Kline is offline
Precision Nutrition Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 5,797
Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaneldolcezza View Post
How would you recommend who should stay on for 2 weeks or follow through up to 4 weeks, does this factor in body weight in any way?

Thanks
It's more of a general range we find works best, not necessarily correlated with body weight. In our coaching programs, we generally recommend 4 weeks at a higher dosage so long as it works for the client.

I think people often wonder about the "why" behind this recommendation, so here's a little more background.

Your cell membranes are composed of a mix of fatty acids, which is somewhat representative of the fats you eat. Literally you become the fats you eat.

Since most of us are lacking in long chain omega-3 fatty acids in our normal diets, it would take a long time to see some of these positive changes if we just started supplementing with a little fish oil, and gave it a while to crowd out ad replace some of the other fats in our cells membranes.

We'd prefer to get to the good effects soon, right? A high dose initially helps tip the balance of fats in your body relatively quickly, and then when you back down to a maintenance dose, your body is well-stocked with a good balance of long chain omega-3 fats built into its structures.

Neat, eh?
__________________
Posted By:
Kate Kline, BIS, PICP, CPT, Pn1

Precision Nutrition

Follow us!
PN blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:18 AM
louisthe1 louisthe1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 119
louisthe1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Kline View Post
Hey Louise,

Were you able to check out posts # 3 and #5 in this thread?

That might help with what you're looking for.
Thanks Kate, those were useful articles, I was just looking for something more recent that had replicated/extended that research.
__________________
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:45 AM
scottbisbee scottbisbee is offline
PN Level 1 Certified
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
scottbisbee
My wife just started the Lean Eating program, which I am very proud for her. Except she asked me a question about fish oil and I have no idea, I'm quite ashamed about it because I just became certified with PN.

My question is, how come for the program you recommend three fish oils and they are not the same, meaning the EPA/DHA is not the same for any of them. Also you say, you should take it from the bottle instead of the pill form because you will be taking 20 pills to get the recommended EPA/DHA and we did the math it doesn't add up. Can someone please explain??
My wife is a numbers person, she wants to know how much EPA/and DHA and why, she isn't getting the answers.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
Kate Kline Kate Kline is offline
Precision Nutrition Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 5,797
Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline Kate Kline
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbisbee View Post
My wife just started the Lean Eating program, which I am very proud for her. Except she asked me a question about fish oil and I have no idea, I'm quite ashamed about it because I just became certified with PN.

My question is, how come for the program you recommend three fish oils and they are not the same, meaning the EPA/DHA is not the same for any of them. Also you say, you should take it from the bottle instead of the pill form because you will be taking 20 pills to get the recommended EPA/DHA and we did the math it doesn't add up. Can someone please explain??
My wife is a numbers person, she wants to know how much EPA/and DHA and why, she isn't getting the answers.

Thanks!
Hey Scott,

We're excited to be working with your wife this year in Lean Eating (and it's awesome that she has you for support)!

Just so you know, we have private Lean Eating discussion forums (and ones specifically devoted to fish oil questions), so I encourage your wife to reach out about any questions she has on her team's forum and her coach can answer her directly.

I know it's just Day 2 of the program, so if she's having any trouble with getting familiar with the process, please reach out to us at info@precisionnutrition.com and we'll make sure her account is all set up and we can walk her through a tutorial if she'd like.

All that said, I'm happy to address your question here as well.

When it comes to fish oil dosage, we keep it simple and just measure the actual grams of fish oil (not EPA/DHA). Yes, there are slightly different potencies across the brands we recommend, but we don't worry about the small differences. Our recommended dose works across various brands that all fall into the "range" we're looking for.

In regards to your second question, we recommend liquid during the higher dosage phase (just a few weeks) because it's generally much easier to take 4 teaspoons (20 grams of oil) than it is to swallow 20 pills (20 grams of fish oil).

Of course if she'd prefer, capsules, that works too. And again, the higher dosage is just a few weeks so after that capsules become much easier to use if she prefers it over liquid.

Hope that helps.
__________________
Posted By:
Kate Kline, BIS, PICP, CPT, Pn1

Precision Nutrition

Follow us!
PN blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off