Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #481  
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:14 PM
denmother denmother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 6,171
denmother denmother denmother denmother denmother denmother
Quote:
Originally Posted by romkey View Post
Hey, I ran across this book today:

Drop the Fat Act & Live Lean

it's by some guy who sounds familiar... any idea if it's any good?
Ryan, good job!!!! I just finished the book last night and I loved it!
__________________
“Always say “yes” to the present moment.... Say “yes” to life — and see how life suddenly starts working for you rather than against you.” ― Eckhart Tolle

Life after 50 and becoming the best I can be / Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #482  
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews is offline
Lean Eating Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Near Boston, MA
Posts: 18,429
Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmother View Post
Ryan, good job!!!! I just finished the book last night and I loved it!
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed it.
__________________
Posted By:
Ryan D. Andrews, MS, MA, RD, CSCS, Pn1
Coach, Precision Nutrition
Author, Drop the Fat Act and Live Lean

Visit our website at:
www.precisionnutrition.com

Subscribe to our blog at:
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/feed

Or follow Precision Nutrition on:
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest
Reply With Quote
  #483  
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Fredrik Fredrik is offline
Lean Eating for Men - January 2013
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,408
Fredrik Fredrik Fredrik Fredrik Fredrik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan D Andrews View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed it.
Received the book just before last weekend (thanks Ryan!) and finished it three days after. I found it an awesome read. Just like on the boards here you manage to provoke me with your writing, but in a good way, and get my own thoughts going. Especially concerning the conflict between eating lots of meat and the climate where I admit I'm a hypocrite.

I think Chapter 18 - "Fat people get over-confident with their weight management skills" - was the one that talked to me the most.

I can also sense some interesting differences between the PN protein recommendations and your own - if it hasn't been done already an internal debate in all friendliness between you and JB on protein would be interesting..
__________________
"To see what few have seen, you must go where few have been."

My log: Lean Eating 2012. Current goals (updated Sep 2, 2012). Resources. (updated Sep 2, 2012)

Last edited by Fredrik; April 12th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #484  
Old April 21st, 2012, 05:05 AM
Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 960
Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan D Andrews View Post
Thanks for the note. Feel free to leave feedback about it (positive or negative).
I'm really enjoying your book! Still on my way through it, but what I've read so far, it's excellent. I'm going to buy several of those and give them to our coaches so we can help our clients even more.

I like the idea of getting to the root of the problem, not just what to eat but why to eat. You've given me several ideas for the chapters of my next book which will be out later this year. I hope I can refer to your book when writing about using the opposites approach? It works well with balancing hormones naturally, as well...
__________________
“Inward calm cannot be maintained unless physical strength is constantly and intelligently replenished.” -Buddha
Reply With Quote
  #485  
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews is offline
Lean Eating Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Near Boston, MA
Posts: 18,429
Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisa Jaakkola View Post
I'm really enjoying your book! Still on my way through it, but what I've read so far, it's excellent. I'm going to buy several of those and give them to our coaches so we can help our clients even more.

I like the idea of getting to the root of the problem, not just what to eat but why to eat. You've given me several ideas for the chapters of my next book which will be out later this year. I hope I can refer to your book when writing about using the opposites approach? It works well with balancing hormones naturally, as well...
Thanks for the feedback. Keep me posted on your book.
__________________
Posted By:
Ryan D. Andrews, MS, MA, RD, CSCS, Pn1
Coach, Precision Nutrition
Author, Drop the Fat Act and Live Lean

Visit our website at:
www.precisionnutrition.com

Subscribe to our blog at:
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/feed

Or follow Precision Nutrition on:
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest
Reply With Quote
  #486  
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Rouxinol Rouxinol is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,018
Rouxinol Rouxinol Rouxinol Rouxinol
Hey Ryan,

I finished your book a couple of weeks ago.

First of all, I AM SO DISSAPOINTED that those three gremlins that came up in one of your examples (couldn't find the spot again, but the phrasing went something like "... and I have three gremlins named X, Y, Z that...") with the awesome, five-syllable names weren't actually your kids (perhaps begotten with the kale-eating girl from chapter 9? We all know you were checking her out!). I was totally picturing them spending huge amounts of time on the monkey bars at the playground and berating lazy parents for their lack of mobility and crappy snack choices ("My daddy says that you have a fwattitude!") before I realized that they did not exist.

Ah well, moving on. I was initially suspicious of the title and I'm wondering if that's a cultural thing. Being Swedish this certainly is a very... American title (confident, catchy and a bit gimmicky). The tone of the book is somtimes a bit confrontational, which I think understand why that is (to jolt people out of their food comas), but it may be off-putting to some. I'm not sure I would've been enticed to pick it up in the book store, and I felt a bit awkward reading it on the train ("HELLO FELLOW COMMUTERS! I HAVE A WEIGHT MANAGEMENT PROBLEM") but I put on my big-girl pants and got over it, which I'm glad for.

I really wasn't expecting the opposites approach to be so enlightening, but there's something about the format that made me think about a lot of things I "already knew" so to speak and reinforce a lot of the lessons I've learned in LE. Especially the bit about becoming overconfident about weight-management skills. And while the tone of the book made me suspicious initially I ended up liking the familiar tone of voice you were using. I would def. read it again further down the line when I feel the need of a reminder of what NOT to do.

All in all, I'd recommend this book to other people, but with the caveat that they should just ignore the title, and that your "voice" will grow on them as they read on.

PS. Thanks for sending the PN sticker with the book, it made me almost ridiculously happy.
Reply With Quote
  #487  
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews is offline
Lean Eating Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Near Boston, MA
Posts: 18,429
Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouxinol View Post
Hey Ryan,

I finished your book a couple of weeks ago.

First of all, I AM SO DISSAPOINTED that those three gremlins that came up in one of your examples (couldn't find the spot again, but the phrasing went something like "... and I have three gremlins named X, Y, Z that...") with the awesome, five-syllable names weren't actually your kids (perhaps begotten with the kale-eating girl from chapter 9? We all know you were checking her out!). I was totally picturing them spending huge amounts of time on the monkey bars at the playground and berating lazy parents for their lack of mobility and crappy snack choices ("My daddy says that you have a fwattitude!") before I realized that they did not exist.

Ah well, moving on. I was initially suspicious of the title and I'm wondering if that's a cultural thing. Being Swedish this certainly is a very... American title (confident, catchy and a bit gimmicky). The tone of the book is somtimes a bit confrontational, which I think understand why that is (to jolt people out of their food comas), but it may be off-putting to some. I'm not sure I would've been enticed to pick it up in the book store, and I felt a bit awkward reading it on the train ("HELLO FELLOW COMMUTERS! I HAVE A WEIGHT MANAGEMENT PROBLEM") but I put on my big-girl pants and got over it, which I'm glad for.

I really wasn't expecting the opposites approach to be so enlightening, but there's something about the format that made me think about a lot of things I "already knew" so to speak and reinforce a lot of the lessons I've learned in LE. Especially the bit about becoming overconfident about weight-management skills. And while the tone of the book made me suspicious initially I ended up liking the familiar tone of voice you were using. I would def. read it again further down the line when I feel the need of a reminder of what NOT to do.

All in all, I'd recommend this book to other people, but with the caveat that they should just ignore the title, and that your "voice" will grow on them as they read on.

PS. Thanks for sending the PN sticker with the book, it made me almost ridiculously happy.
Nice detailed review. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Posted By:
Ryan D. Andrews, MS, MA, RD, CSCS, Pn1
Coach, Precision Nutrition
Author, Drop the Fat Act and Live Lean

Visit our website at:
www.precisionnutrition.com

Subscribe to our blog at:
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/feed

Or follow Precision Nutrition on:
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest
Reply With Quote
  #488  
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 960
Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess Broccoli Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan D Andrews View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Keep me posted on your book.
My first one has sold 8500 copies now :) I hope the next one will reach even more people.

I wish we could get PN translated to Finnish, it would help tremendously, as I won't be able to delve that deep in the nutrition section plus I don't want to go copying a great source.
__________________
“Inward calm cannot be maintained unless physical strength is constantly and intelligently replenished.” -Buddha
Reply With Quote
  #489  
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM
bar2k bar2k is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 2,199
bar2k bar2k bar2k bar2k bar2k bar2k bar2k
Hey Ryan, I meant to do a review on your book. Here you go:



I forgot to give it my 4 biceps
__________________
"Embrace the superhero look. Be the superhero."
"You can't out workout a bad diet."

He is fit, cool and a geek how can that be?
Reply With Quote
  #490  
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews is offline
Lean Eating Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Near Boston, MA
Posts: 18,429
Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews Ryan D Andrews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar2k View Post
Hey Ryan, I meant to do a review on your book. Here you go:



I forgot to give it my 4 biceps
Hey Andre,

Thanks for the feedback.
__________________
Posted By:
Ryan D. Andrews, MS, MA, RD, CSCS, Pn1
Coach, Precision Nutrition
Author, Drop the Fat Act and Live Lean

Visit our website at:
www.precisionnutrition.com

Subscribe to our blog at:
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/feed

Or follow Precision Nutrition on:
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off